easyJet’s newest route from Liverpool started this morning with passengers jetting off on the airline’s inaugural flight to Antalya in Turkey.
Liverpool John Lennon Airport (JLA) today announced a change to the structure of its ownership. The Peel Group, which previously held a 35% shareholding in Vantage Airports UK, the current owners of JLA, has reached an agreement to acquire the remaining 65% stake in the business from Vantage Airport Group.
This change of ownership is effective immediately and Peel will now become the sole owner of the Airport Company.
Over the past four years, under the ownership of Vantage Airport Group, Liverpool JLA has undergone significant improvements and now provides a best in class airport experience for both passengers and airlines. Vantage now wishes to focus on projects that position the company for growth in North America and other markets.
Peel believes that by investing in JLA, the business can be taken to the next level, attracting new airlines and new services by capitalising on the excellent operational and commercial performance.
It will remain business as usual for airport employees, airlines and passengers, with JLA continuing to serve the needs of the travelling public in Merseyside and the North West.
Matthew Thomas, CEO of Liverpool John Lennon Airport commented, “The Airport is a key project in Peel’s Ocean Gateway programme, which will see £50 billion of investment in the North West. As part of one of the region’s largest and most successful organisations, the Airport now enters an exciting period in its development as we work with partners across the City Region to grow services and passenger numbers.”
Ocean Gateway: 50 50 50 – 50 projects over 50 years with £50 billion of investment led by The Peel Group. The renaissance of the strategic corridor between Manchester and Liverpool aims to maximise the potential of the North West as a globally significant region and major driver of the UK economy. Since its inception in 2008, Ocean Gateway has already delivered £2 billion of private investment and thousands of new jobs. Key projects include Liverpool John Lennon Airport; MediaCityUK in Manchester; Liverpool Waters; Wirral Waters; Port Salford and Liverpool2.
Our statement regarding the impact of the coronavirus outbreak.
Loganair, Scotland’s Airline, has announced plans to take up the Liverpool to Isle of Man route formerly flown by Flybe. The service will operate between Liverpool and the Isle of Man up to 19 times per week initially, with plans to increase this to three times daily from the end of March.